BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Monday, 11 July, 2005, 13:51 GMT 14:51 UK
Blast injured remain in hospital
Ambulance at blast scene
Hospitals activated their emergency plans when the blasts hit
Fifty-seven people remain in hospitals after the bombings in London, many having had operations after losing limbs, and suffering burns.

More than 700 people were hurt and at least 50 died in Thursday's attacks, with many people still missing.

Hospitals called in extra staff and cancelled non-urgent surgery to deal with the injured, but have now returned to normal working conditions.

People worried about relatives or friends should call 0870 1566 344.

Dr Andres Izquierdo-Martin, accident and emergency consultant at the Royal Free Hospital, in north London, which is still treating five people, one in intensive care, said it was obvious when they saw the injured coming in that there had been a blast.

"The injuries were smoke inhalation, burns all around the face and shrapnel."

He said the priority was to stabilise the injured and move them to the wards for more treatment.

Dr Izquierdo-Martin said the atmosphere was very calm and professional.

"The staff are used to dealing with the injuries. We were working as a normal casualty again within a few hours."

He said they were already preparing for the next event, should there be one.

University College Hospital is still treating 14 people, five who are in intensive care for serious injuries.

The Royal London Hospital, near Liverpool Street Station, is treating 16 patients - seven in intensive care.

The hospital treated 208 of people injured in the explosions overall. Of these, 27 were admitted. One patient died. All of the others have been discharged.

Burns unit

Chelsea and Westminster Hospital has two blast victims being treated in their specialist burns unit, after four have already been released.

St Mary's Hospital, in Paddington, is treating five people. One is still in a critical condition while the other four have injuries ranging from serious to minor.

Fourteen people are still at Guy's and St Thomas's, near Waterloo, one in a critical condition but stable.

Five underwent surgery on Saturday.

All of the blast victims treated at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, which set up makeshift facilities under its major incident plan as it does not have an A&E department, have since been discharged.

Charing Cross Hospital has one casualty who is stable after discharging another one over the weekend. Both had been transferred from St Mary's.

WHERE THE CASUALTIES WERE TAKEN
1 University College Hospital - 58 seen; 14 remain; 5 in intensive care
2 Great Ormond Street - 22 brought in
3 Royal London - 208 seen; 16 remain; seven in intensive care
4 Guy's and St Thomas' - 22 brought in; 14 still there
6 St Mary's - 38 seen; five remain; one critical
7 Royal Free - 61 brought in; five remain
8 Chelsea and Westminster - two in burns unit
*(One patient at Charing Cross - transferred from St Mary's)




BBC NEWS:VIDEO AND AUDIO
Injured survivor recalls King's Cross horror from hospital



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific