BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Wednesday, 20 April, 2005, 22:09 GMT 23:09 UK
Accuser 'kept at Neverland ranch'
Michael Jackson
Jackson faces up to 20 years in jail if convicted
A former security guard at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch has testified that the singer's accuser was for a time not allowed to leave the property.

Brian Barron said at Mr Jackson's trial that a note to this effect was posted on a board in the ranch's guard house for about a week in 2003.

Prosecutors say this evidence supports allegations that the Arvizo family were held against their will at the ranch.

The prosecution's case against the star is expected to end next week.

The announcement by chief prosecutor Tom Sneddon will clear the way for the defence to begin presenting arguments.

Mr Jackson, who is accused of molesting a teenage boy in 2003, denies all of the 10 charges against him.

'Pins and needles'

Mr Barron, a local policeman who used to moonlight at the ranch, was one of a few minor witnesses called by the prosecution as they wound down their case.

Janet Arvizo (right) outside court on 18 April
Janet Arvizo (right) has been a key prosecution witness

He said the accuser, Gavin Arvizo, and his brother and sister were regular visitors to Neverland.

In one period in January or February 2003, he said, the memo "Gavin is not allowed off the property" was written on the guard house board.

However, the former guard conceded under cross-examination that it was appropriate to keep child guests on the estate when their parents were not around.

Mr Barron was also unable to confirm that Gavin's parents were there.

But he claimed that there was a tense atmosphere at the ranch with staff on "pins and needles" when Mr Jackson was at home.

"He's like a perfectionist," Mr Barron was quoted by the Associated Press news agency as saying.

"Everything has to be right."

The defence case will begin almost immediately after the prosecution finishes.

'Inappropriate behaviour'

When it begins making its case it is expected to call on a host of celebrities to testify to the singer's good character and innocent love of children.

The stars could include Liza Minnelli and Liz Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and interviewer Larry King, as well as the former child star Macaulay Culkin.

Mr Culkin, now 24, was befriended by Mr Jackson as a child in the early 1990s.

Earlier in the prosecution case, a former maid at the pop star's ranch claimed seeing Mr Jackson behave inappropriately towards the Home Alone actor.

Mr Culkin's spokeswoman has indicated that he does not want to take part in the trial.

Among the stars the defence says will appear is talk-show host Jay Leno, who the defence says will testify that Gavin Arvizo, the teenager who Mr Jackson is accused of abusing, sought financial help from him.

The testimony will boost claims that the molestation accusations were fabricated by the family to extort money from the singer.

Janet Arvizo, Gavin's mother, who stepped down on Tuesday after giving evidence for five days, told jurors that she had never asked Mr Leno for money and was unaware of her son doing so.






Michael Jackson on trial

Michael Jackson Jackson show
How the star's style has changed during lengthy trial

LATEST NEWS

REPORTERS' LOGS
 

AT A GLANCE
 

PROFILES
 

CASE TIMELINE

VIDEO AND AUDIO


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific