BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Thursday, 30 March 2006, 16:35 GMT 17:35 UK
Mission stuntman sues film-makers
Tom Cruise
Tom Cruise filmed some of the movie in Rome
A stuntman who was badly burnt on the set of Mission: Impossible 3 has sued the film's makers.

Steven Wheatley is seeking unspecified damages from Paramount Pictures and the production company of Tom Cruise, the star of the film franchise.

Mr Wheatley claims explosives detonated "without any prior warning", resulting in burns on 60% of his body.

Spokesmen for Cruise's company and Paramount said they declined to issue comment on pending litigation.

Creative differences

The accident happened last June at the SOS Filmworks site near Los Angeles.

In the legal action filed at the city's Superior Court, Mr Wheatley said that he had been assisting on a stunt which simulated a missile attack on a vehicle.

He also accused the defendants of failing to ensure that there were fire extinguishers at a relatively close distance and fire department officials nearby to help prevent his injuries.

The filming of Misson: Impossible 3 faced lengthy delays last year after director Joe Carnahan quit the project due to creative differences.

It had already been delayed by a year to allow Cruise to appoint a new director and finish shooting War of the Worlds.

The film is scheduled for release in both the US and UK in May.


SEE ALSO:


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific