Monday, June 28, 1999 Published at 11:56 GMT 12:56 UK
Jackson treated for burns
Jackson on stage in Munich minutes before he pulled out
Pop superstar Michael Jackson has spent a night in a German hospital after being hurt by fireworks at a charity concert in Munich.
He performed for just 35 minutes before leaving the stage suffering from minor burns from the fireworks used in the show, according to promoter Mama Concerts.
The 40-year-old singer was discharged early on Monday morning, and a hospital spokeswoman said the burns were "nothing serious".
It is Jackson's second accident with pyrotechnics in his career. He suffered second-degree scalp burns in 1984 when his hair caught fire when a smoke bomb misfired while he was making a soft drink commercial in Los Angeles.
Jackson flew into Germany on Saturday from Seoul, South Korea, where he staged the first of his all-star concerts - called "Michael Jackson and Friends: What More Can I Give" - the night before.
On Sunday, he led a group of 30 international stars in the eight-hour concert at Munich's Olympic Stadium attended by 62,000 fans.
Children benefit from concerts
The concert, billed as Germany's biggest musical event of the year, raised an estimated £1 million for the Red Cross, United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) and the Nelson Mandela's Children's Fund.
Friday's fund-raiser in Seoul, in aid of the same charities, attracted 54,000 fans and a fair amount of criticism.
Some people said the ticket prices - up to £150 each - were too high in the face of South Korea's economic difficulties.
Other groups, including a Korean War veteran association, were angry that the concert fell on the 49th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War.
Jackson said the gigs were to help needy children in North Korea, Kosovo and Africa where "children are in pain because of the greed and political disagreements of us adults".
TV and Radio