BBC News UK Edition
 You are in: Entertainment: Music  
News Front Page
N Ireland
TV and Radio
Talking Point
Country Profiles
In Depth
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
Wednesday, 17 July, 2002, 08:04 GMT 09:04 UK
Wet Witnness and terrific T
Mud caused several sets to be cancelled at Witnness
Rock band Hundred Reasons' summer of festivals continued with Ireland's Witnness show and Scotland's T In The Park. But things did not go entirely to plan, as guitarist Larry Hibbitt reports in the lastest instalment of his festival diary.

I'd love to say that the Witnness festival was a glorious event for Hundred Reasons that gave us the opportunity to win over many new Irish fans - but we didn't get to play.

We arrived at the festival site on the morning of the show (after a day-long drive from London involving a 4am ferry from Holyhead) to find it basking in an unusually warm summer's day. No problems so far.

We then went to catering and had a fantastically prepared full Irish breakfast. No problems so far. About an hour later, I'm standing on the stage we're supposed to be on that afternoon looking at an inch deep pool of water where the pit should be. Ah...

Most fans seemed to adapt to the surroundings
For the rest of the day we hung around waiting for the official word on whether the gig was happening or not. It didn't. Instead we bumped into Jet Plane Landing, which was cool and tried to stalk the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl for a while, which was unsuccessful.

Defeated and thoroughly depressed, we ate a fantastic meal in catering, took a communal shower and went to Scotland on the 9pm ferry. Sorry to anyone who wanted to see us, but it really wasn't our fault.

Zombie video

The next day I was awoken at an extremely disturbing 5am. Although it was too early and we were still 30 minutes drive from the festival, we were already an hour late. The reason for this torture is that Falter, our next single, needs a video and today we make it.

We spent the next few hours wandering zombie-like around the deserted festival followed by a few cameras. We were too tired to even ask why so we just got on with it. I think we got some good footage, but hey, it's all in the editing, right?

Larry Hibbitt
Larry Hibbitt: Parental visit at T In The Park
I hate making videos, but as they go this one was fairly painless.

It was 10 o'clock by the time we ate some gross, yet world-renowned fast food. A little more shooting later, we managed to grab an hour to relax in the "artists' village". This comprised of several portacabins arranged around an entertainments tent.


It ruled, there was table tennis, racing cars, video games, Connect 4 and a pool table. Just next to this tent was one of the best ideas ever. A stall had been set up which offered a selection of guitars and basses with accompanying amplifiers. There was also an electronic drum kit plugged into a small PA system.

The sun was now out - and it was warm enough to make the portaloos really smell

At one point later in the day, I witnessed half of Jimmy Eat World on drums and bass jamming with the singer from the Hives on guitar. Dave Grohl watched, headbanging. That's not something you see every day.

After a little more shooting, we headed to the signing tent for our one o'clock appointment. We stayed there for a full hour signing stuff and cracking jokes. It was fun. After that I went to do the last of my parts for the video. By this point I'm so tired I'm starting to hallucinate.

We then had a few hours left before we had to go on stage. I met up with my mum and stepdad who had come down from St.Andrews. I showed them around and tried to convince them that I actually have a quite normal job. They didn't buy it. I think my mum liked it.

Smelly loos

Show time came around. I tried to wake up by drinking three Red Bulls. We'd been up for 12 hours and all I'd had was a horrible burger. I managed the vocal warm-ups and got myself in a better state of mind.

Liam Gallagher
Oasis headlined at both festivals
We got taken round to our stage in a minibus as it was quite a long walk. The sun was now out and it was really warm. Warm enough to make the portaloos really smell.

The show started well. All our equipment was in full working order and a sizeable crowd had gathered. We got a typically warm yet rowdy Scottish reception. Fantastic.

About halfway through Remmus, the penultimate song,. I suddenly forgot where I was. Two hours sleep and no food caught up with me and I started to have trouble staying on my feet. I ran over to our bass tech, Richard and got him to give me some sugary chewing gum.

This helped me get through If I Could (even though I barely remember playing it) and then I went and had a lie down. Apart from that, everyone seemed to have a good time.

Back at the dressing room, I got changed and then went and ate a full roast dinner. Never have I welcomed food so ravenously. It was awesome.

The Hives
The Hives also played both festivals
Feeling completely renovated. I had a couple of beers and let Dave from Seafood beat me at table tennis. After this, we all met up with Dave from the festival's promoters - DFC and King Tut's Wah Wah Hut - and he escorted us up to the side of the main stage just in time to watch the Foo Fighters play a great set in front of a great crowd. Thanks a million Dave, we owe you (another) one.

After all this excitement, the only thing left to do was go home. Scotland rocks. Nice one.

Summer Festivals 2002

Latest stories

Festival reviews

Band diary

Send us your views

Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Music stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | World | UK | England | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales |
Politics | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology |
Health | Education | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |