BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Thursday, 31 July, 2003, 05:54 GMT 06:54 UK
Baby dies after choking on grape
A baby girl, who has been fighting for her life since choking on a grape nearly a week ago, has died.

Eighteen-month-old Raheema Mayat, from Walsall, had been on a ventilator in the paediatric intensive care unit at University Hospital in North Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent since 24 July.

Her family took the decision to turn off her life support machine on Wednesday after Raheema failed to regain consciousness.

An ambulance was called to Raheema's aunt's home in Corporation Street West, Caldmore, after she choked on three grapes.

Natural causes

Her 21-year-old mother Mariam, who was given life-saving instructions over the phone by an ambulance operator, managed to dislodge two of the grapes from her throat but the third remained stuck.

Paramedics revived Raheema before taking her to Walsall Manor Hospital where doctors managed to get the grape out.

Her death was reported to Mr Edwin Wain, coroner for Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire on Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Stoke-on-Trent coroner said the death was being treated as natural causes and an inquest would not be held.

Baby critical after choking on grape
28 Jul 03  |  West Midlands

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific