Page last updated at 14:33 GMT, Thursday, 18 March 2010

Man from Hove dies after taking legal high mephedrone

John Sterling Smith
Tests showed John Sterling Smith died from mephedrone poisoning

A man from East Sussex has died after taking the legal drug mephedrone.

John Sterling Smith, 46, suffered a cardiac arrest at his home in The Drive, Hove, in the early hours of 7 February.

Police said toxicology tests showed Mr Smith had died from mephedrone poisoning. The drug is sold legally over the internet as "plant food".

Two men, aged 35 and 40 and both from Brighton, have been arrested on suspicion of supplying Class A drugs.

They have been released on police bail until 5 May pending further inquiries.

Louis Wainwright, 18, and Nicholas Smith, 19, died in Scunthorpe on Monday after taking mephedrone along with other substances, including alcohol and the heroin substitute methadone.

Mr Smith's inquest is due to take place on 27 May.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Parents call for mephedrone ban
17 Mar 10 |  Humber

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER NEWS SITES
Daily Record Mum's fury as son dies after taking legal party drug mephedrone - 1 hr ago
This is Gloucester County teens taking killer "Meow Meow" drug - 3 hrs ago
Yorkshire Post Schools can seize 'legal high' drugs - 4 hrs ago
Herald Scotland SNP takes on Westminster over party drug - 4 hrs ago
Halifax Evening Courier Man freed after drug deaths quiz - 4 hrs ago


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific