BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Friday, 20 January 2006, 14:14 GMT
Paedophile jailed for seven years
Terrence Cotton
Terrence Cotton abducted the boy from outside a supermarket
A paedophile who abducted a 12-year-old boy from Staffordshire and subjected him to a sexual assault in his car has been jailed for seven years.

Terrence Cotton, of Riverside Close, Sheepy Magna, Leicestershire, abducted the boy in 2004 from outside a supermarket in Tamworth, Staffordshire.

Stafford Crown Court heard he promised his victim a meal at McDonald's.

Cotton, 48, admitted child abduction and causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

He had previously admitted rape, but his plea to the offence was later withdrawn.

Cautious sister

David Jackson, prosecuting, said Cotton even enlisted the help of two passers-by to help push-start his car before driving away from the shop.

Cotton then committed the serious sexual offence after pulling into an entrance to a field on the A444 near Twycross, Leicestershire.

Mr Jackson said the victim had left his Tamworth home with his sister to buy some chips from the supermarket.

"This defendant drove onto the car park and called the victim and his younger sister over to the car and asked if they could direct him to the nearest McDonald's," he said.

"The defendant asked if they would take him there and said he would buy the victim a McDonald's."

The boy agreed to go but his sister was more cautious and tried unsuccessfully to persuade him not to go, the court heard.

Cotton then drove to a McDonald's at junction 11 of the M42 before taking the boy to the field.

I was hoping for at least 10 years
Victim's mother
After the sexual offence the boy was dropped off near his home, Mr Jackson said.

Later checks of an automatic number plate recognition system on the M42 led police to the defendant, who initially denied the offence.

Sentencing Cotton, Judge Michael Dudley said: "The offences you committed on this day were extremely serious.

"My concern has to be to impose a determinate sentence which gives the public the protection that it has a right to."

The boy's mother, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said: "I was hoping for at least 10 years.

"I know they have got guidelines to go by but at the end of the day he (Cotton) could be walking the streets again in three years."

Officers from the major investigations department at Staffordshire Police also paid tribute to the youngster for his help in catching Cotton.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific