BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Monday, 9 June, 2003, 17:20 GMT 18:20 UK
Director 'battered and stabbed' burglar
Steven Parkin
Steven Parkin arriving at court in Nottingham
A company director stabbed and killed a burglar who had sneaked into his premises to steal a lorry, a court has heard.

Steven Parkin, 46, of Derby Road, Nottingham, battered the thief with a pickaxe handle and slashed him with a knife as he fled the site in Bobbers Mill in the city, Nottingham Crown Court was told.

Mr Parkin, who ran a demolition company, had been standing in for the night watchman at the compound and was with his 10-year-old daughter.

Mr Parkin denies the manslaughter of Mark Brealey, 31, of St Ann's, Nottingham, who died six days later in hospital after he suffered a massive loss of blood and a heart attack.

Pickaxe handle

Gregory Dickinson QC, told Nottingham Crown Court, that Mr Brealey had been smoking crack cocaine with two other men before breaking into the site of Mr Parkin's CMEC company on 14 July 2002.

"In a 999 call after the incident, the defendant said that he had disturbed two intruders, that they had tried to attack him and that he had fought them off," Mr Dickinson said.

Mr Dickinson said that Mr Parkin had spotted the men from an upstairs office where he was spending the nightshift with his daughter.

The defendant stabbed him deliberately and unnecessarily at a time when Mr Brealey was trying to flee.
Gregory Dickinson
Crown prosecutor

The court heard he then armed himself and sneaked up on the men in a yard as they attempted to break a lorry's ignition column and steal the vehicle.

"He slammed the pickaxe handle down on the lorry and told them: 'You're not going anywhere'," Mr Dickinson said.

Trail of blood

He told the court that the two ran and that as his accomplice jumped over a fence, Mr Brealey slipped and was confronted by Mr Parkin.

Mr Parkin used the pickaxe handle to club Mr Brealey around the neck and shoulders and then stabbed him in the back of the left knee, the court heard.

Mr Dickinson said Mr Brealey then attempted to run to a waiting van, leaving behind a trail of blood and seriously aggravating the injury.

Jurors were told that his two accomplices then dumped Mr Brealey outside the Queen's Medical Centre, where he suffered a heart attack and critical blood loss.

The hearing was adjourned until Tuesday.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific