Page last updated at 07:41 GMT, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 08:41 UK

Trustee suspended in terror probe

Arms haul at Bhola
Bangladeshi police discovered the haul last month

A senior figure in a British charity has been suspended after an arms cache was found at a school in Bangladesh.

The weapons were found at an Islamic school - or madrassa - in Bhola run by the Green Crescent charity, which is based in Stockport, Greater Manchester.

The Charity Commission has now formally suspended trustee Faisal Mostafa, and will later consider permanent removal.

Speaking last week, his family said Dr Mostafa, whose whereabouts is unknown, had done nothing wrong.

Last month Bangladeshi officials said they found a number of weapons at the madrassa, located on a remote river island, and believe it was being used for militant training.

The Charity Commission subsequently announced it was "seriously concerned" by the discovery of the weapons and launched an investigation.

Vetting procedures

The bank accounts of Green Crescent have also been frozen, the commission confirmed.

The commission's website said that in 2008, Green Crescent had a turnover approaching £70,000 ($102,733).

A spokesman said: "The commission will always consider seriously the position of any trustee convicted of a serious offence, and its impact on their suitability to continue in their role with a charity.

"The case also emphasises the importance of ensuring charity trustees carry out proper and thorough vetting procedures on prospective and current trustees, and that there is enhanced liaison between the Charity Commission as charity regulator and the law enforcement agencies responsible for investigating criminal offences.

"The commission's published counter-terrorism strategy sets out clearly that its stance on concerns about the involvement of charities with terrorist activity is unequivocal - it is unacceptable and trustees must take all reasonable steps to ensure their charity is not abused."

Last year, Dr Mostafa was convicted of possessing dangerous articles on an aircraft after trying to take a gas-powered pistol on a flight at Manchester Airport.

He was sentenced him to 56 days in prison, suspended for two years, ordered him to undertake 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £250 prosecution costs.

He was cleared of conspiracy to cause explosions with intent to endanger life after a trial at Birmingham Crown Court in 2002.

Print Sponsor

Charity chief focus of arms probe
26 Mar 09 |  South Asia
UK to probe Bangladesh arms haul
25 Mar 09 |  South Asia
Weapons haul at Bangladesh school
24 Mar 09 |  South Asia
Man tried to take gun on aircraft
25 Nov 08 |  Manchester
Bangladesh and Islamic militants
25 Feb 05 |  South Asia

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific