BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 12:45 GMT 13:45 UK
500k reward for husband's return
Sarwar Al-Hafeed and his wife Dana - pic from GMP
Mr Al-Hafeed was last seen by his wife on 31 May
The wife of a Manchester businessman who went missing 11 weeks ago is offering a 500,000 reward for information leading to his safe return.

Father-of-three Sarwar Al-Hafeed was last seen by wife Dana on the morning of 31 May as he was preparing to leave their Didsbury home to go to work.

Police fear that the 37-year-old Iraqi may have been abducted following a dispute with business associates.

He had been involved in a dispute over money and title deeds to land in Iraq.

Speaking at a news conference at Greater Manchester Police headquarters, Mrs Al-Hafeed said she was "at her wits' end".

She said: "Eleven weeks ago today our whole world was shattered when my husband, my wonderful generous husband, disappeared.

"Sarwar had promised our three children, who he adored and who adored him, he would take them to the park.

Dana Al-Hafeed
Mrs Al-Hafeed says she is at her wits' end
"The following morning he left for work but never arrived.

"My children ask me every day about their dad and I tell them he's coming home."

The couple, who have been married for 13 years, met and married in Iraq.

On the day that he disappeared, Mr Al-Hafeed was going to Ducie Court, Manchester city centre, where he worked as executive director of social housing organisation Leadstay.

He was wearing a blue denim shirt, black canvas trousers and a khaki jacket when he left the house.

Greater Manchester Police said it was extremely out of character for Mr Al-Hafeed to go missing and his bank accounts and mobile phone had remained untouched since his disappearance.

Detectives are also keen to trace his car - a blue Ford Escort, registration number P87 RWX - which they believe may have been spotted on the day he went missing.

It was reported being seen parked next to a white van on Mauldeth Road close to the junction with Parrswood Road.

The doors to the van were apparently open and it was parked in such a way that pedestrians may have struggled to get past it.

Police say his bank accounts and mobile phone have not been used since that morning.

Abduction fear over businessman
05 Jul 06 |  Manchester

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific