BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Saturday, 29 December 2007, 12:16 GMT
Murdered head's widow threatened
Frances Lawrence
Mrs Lawrence criticised the decision not to deport her husband's killer
The widow of a murdered headmaster has been threatened by callers at her door.

Philip Lawrence was fatally stabbed at his London school in 1995 by Learco Chindamo, then aged 15, whose minimum jail term of 12 years expires shortly.

Metropolitan Police confirmed they investigated a burglary at the home of his widow Frances Lawrence this year.

Mrs Lawrence told the BBC two men had also come to her door and warned her "not to talk about Learco again to anyone - or people might get angry".

She said after that, her west London home was burgled but all that was taken was a dossier of documents relating to the killing, including letters from MPs.

Chindamo came to the UK from Italy, where he was born, when he was six.

He stabbed Mr Lawrence at the gates of his west London school when the headmaster was trying to protect another pupil.

Mrs Lawrence, 60, has been a vocal opponent of a decision not to deport Chindamo, now 27, who has also applied for parole early next year, at the end of his minimum term.

Learco Chindamo
Learco Chindamo could be freed next year

His lawyers had argued that deporting him to Italy would breach his human rights.

The ruling allowing him to stay in the UK was made by the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal.

The tribunal ruled in August that while Chindamo had committed an extremely serious crime, he no longer posed a serious threat to society.

It said it had seen several reports of Chindamo's conduct in detention, saying he had made "a real effort to put his past behaviour behind him and had impressed those responsible for his care with his genuine remorse".

It could not be said that he presents no risk of reoffending "but the risk is assessed as low".

In October, a senior High Court judge refused a government request to reconsider the tribunal's decision.

The Home Office said it had no more legal avenues to follow in the case but was "extremely disappointed" with the High Court's judgement.

Metropolitan Police told the BBC: "We can confirm Ealing police investigated a burglary earlier this year. There have been no arrests.

"We are not prepared to discuss what was taken."



SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific