Page last updated at 11:07 GMT, Monday, 31 March 2008 12:07 UK

Worker burned by overhead cables

A man is being treated in hospital for burns to his hand and face after coming into contact with electric cables while working on rail tracks in Essex.

The accident happened at Boreham near Chelmsford on Sunday morning.

An East of England Ambulance crew were called to the site just off Generals Lane near the Boreham interchange.

A spokeswoman said: "The 23-year-old man was working on overhead lines and came into contact with live cables that had 25,000 volts running through them."

The ambulance crew treated him for his burns and shock, covering the affected areas with cling film.

He was then taken to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford for further treatment.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific