Page last updated at 10:27 GMT, Tuesday, 1 September 2009 11:27 UK

Fire after dog switches on cooker

Firefighters believe a dog accidentally switched on a cooker at a home in Dorset, sparking a fire which swept through the kitchen.

A neighbour dialled 999 when they heard a smoke detector sounding from the home next door in Addison Close, Gillingham.

Two fire crews arrived at the scene and managed to get the flames under control on Monday. No-one was hurt in the fire.

A fire service spokeswoman said there was extensive smoke damage to the kitchen caused by the incident.

She added: "The neighbour was alert and heard the alarm before investigating further at a safe distance.

"They quickly realised the fire service was needed and dialled 999.

"It would appear that the dog has somehow switched on the cooker which started the fire."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific