BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Friday, 21 April 2006, 10:58 GMT 11:58 UK
Baby died after choking on apple
Just Learning Nursery in Cambourne, Cambs
The child was taken ill at the Just Learning Nursery in Cambs
A post-mortem examination has confirmed that a baby girl, who died after being taken ill at a nursery, choked on a small piece of apple.

Ten-month-old Georgia Hollick became ill at the Just Learning Nursery in Cambourne, Cambs, on Wednesday.

Police have started an investigation and Ofsted suspended the nursery's registration on Thursday while it examines the case.

"We are devastated by Georgia's death," her parents Sharon and Jason said.

"Georgia was a wonderful baby and a blessing to our family. She will be forever in our hearts and thoughts.

"We now just want to be left alone to try to come to terms with the loss of our little girl."

Nursery's regret

The nursery, which is part of a national chain, remains closed. It opened in Cambourne in 2001.

The company's managing director is Michael Fallon, Conservative MP for Sevenoaks.

A Just Learning spokesman said: "We deeply regret this tragedy and all our thoughts are with the child's parents.

"A full investigation is taking place to ascertain exactly what happened and the authorities have been informed."

Inquiry into nursery death baby
20 Apr 06 |  Cambridgeshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific