BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Sunday, 6 January, 2002, 19:51 GMT
Second body found by rescuers
Search teams looking for the missing boy
Rescue teams search for the missing boy
A second body has been found by rescuers looking for a father and his nine-year-old son, who went missing from a beach in Cumbria.

The man was named by police as Stewart Rushton, 51, and his son as Adam, both of Cemetery Hill, Dalton, Cumbria.

Rescuers said that a second body, of a young boy, was found on Sunday afternoon after confirming that the body of a man found earlier was that of Mr Rushton.

He and his son disappeared after parking at Priory Point near Ulverston at 1420 GMT on Saturday and going for a walk on the sands.

Adam Rushton
Adam Rushton was sitting on his father's shoulders
Mr Rushton used his mobile phone to call the emergency services for help after becoming disorientated in thick fog.

Police said they could hear Mr Rushton shouting but could not tell which direction the calls were coming from as the fast incoming tide made rescue attempts hazardous.

Mr Rushton is believed to have told officers he could hear their police sirens but did not want to move from the sandbank because he could not be sure where the sound was coming from.

Paul Parkes, from the Liverpool Coastguard, said the first body had been found on a beach near Bardsea after the tide receded.

Three search and rescue teams had been involved in the effort to find the boy, but poor weather conditions had restricted use of a helicopter from RAF Valley.

Mr Parkes said that a number of people, thought to be relatives who had unofficially joined the search teams, had been airlifted off the sands because of the incoming fog.

Stewart Rushton, 51.
Police could hear Stewart Rushton calling for help

He said everyone was "saddened" by the discovery of the bodies.

A Liverpool Coastguard spokesman said he was the last person to speak to the 51-year-old on Saturday afternoon when Mr Rushton called the emergency services on his mobile phone.

The spokesman said Mr Rushton told him he was up to his neck in water.

"The man was obviously cold and very worried," the spokesman said.

"From what I could gather his son was sitting on his shoulders. It was a bit disconcerting.

"Police tried to phone his mobile phone later on but failed to get through."

Coastguard officials said the tape recorded conversations between Mr Rushton and helpline staff would not be released because they were too "distressing".

The BBC's Tony Morris
"It started with a call for help"

Click here to go to BBC Cumbria
See also:

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories